Friday, June 3, 2016

Girls In Books

   Let's face it, girls are super annoying in YA books. Tris from Divergent, Lydia from the Brotherband series, I could go on and on, trust me. And I will! In this post, I will pretty much rant about how annoying they are.
   Before I start though, please know that these are my opinions, and you are entitled to your own! This post is not meant to offend anyone.

                                                                   


   I was recently reading the Brotherband series, mostly because my sister wanted me too, and I was...appalled at Lydia. She was literally everything I hate in a girl character. Whhhhy? Why do authors keep ruining girls? It's not realistic at all! *barfs*

   Appearances

   All of the girls are slender, small, tanned, graceful, pretty, it's all the same! Why can't some of them be slightly chunky, tall, normally colored, uncoordinated and awkward, or average looking? They're out there, I promise. You may have to search through all of the actresses and models on Pinterest, but they're there.
   And when they repeat their perfect appearances and constantly say they're pretty, it's sooo obnoxious.
      Because, let's face it, 99.9999 percent of girls are food addicts. I love coffee and French fries, Jennifer Lawrence loves pizza, it's totally a thing.

How they interact with boys

   Boys are not awkward and babbly when a girl shows up, they get really quite. I know, I have a bro, and friends, and bro's friends. And trust me, when a girl is cute, not every boy falls in love with her, they aren't fighting over her, and she doesn't smile at them. She's more likely to be kind of annoyed with them.

   Sarcasticness

   I loooove sarcastic girls, I do! But...are they all sarcastic? Some of them aren't, right? Some of them are nice, and they can be sarcastic, but not all of the time! Sarcastic girls are confident, confident is good, always confident leads to arrogance, arrogance is baaaaad! Arrogance make me want them to die or get eaten by a turtle or something.


   Bravery

   Not all girls are super brave, I mean there are totally scaredy cats out there. Cowering idjits isn't cool, but girls who can do it all aren't cool either. Trust me on that. Some girls actually cry and break down sometimes, they aren't always the first to volunteer...*cough* First Jumper *cough*

  
   That about wraps it up, thanks for reading!
Rachael

   Did you agree with any of this? What annoys you in a girl characters? Are you a Tris Prior fan?













31 comments:

  1. Some of these traits definitely annoy me too. GAH. It's frustrating. Although I disagree with blanket statements like "girls are super annoying in YA books". hehe. XD SORRY. Some are, for sure! But not all of them. ;D I reeeeally get frustrated when all the girls just have that "perfect" body. I mean, gee, sure some people do? BUT THE REST OF US REALLY LIKE OUR CAKE, OKAY. Better cake-loving-girls representation in books! And also eeek, yeah, I wish there were less bitter little sarcastic espressos sometimes. Sarcasm is great! But it does get too much. So I'm basically just nodding to a lot of this. XD
    (I didn't love Tris? I didn't hate her, I just thought she was super bland. haha. AHEM.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. xD I agree, not all. I amend my statement. YEEES! I'm 5' 10" and when they're all short, I feel like a giant.
      (I loved Tris at first, but then she was so mean to everyone and yes, bland like unsalted French fries.))

      Delete
  2. I'm afraid my main girl character may be annoying. But not necessarially for your reasons. Mostly because she's naive and a bit selfish. Not to mention a bit rebellious and sometimes whiny. But then she is brave, but breaks done and cries.
    Her sister certainly isn't brave. And I have a giant of a redhead who's only interest in boys is as people to compete with and make friends with. The same as girls. She's also very matter of fact and kind.
    And the one guy who I can say is based of a real life person, doesn't talk to girls more than necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Some of my characters were like that too, and YES! GIANTS!

      Delete
    2. Not an actuality giant, just a tall strong girl.
      The shy sister is somewhat awkward on occasion.

      Delete
  3. Yeah. A lot of them are formed to fit what a person would think the dream girl is in reality there's more flavors of french fries (reference to above comment)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high fives for reference* Yes! There's lots of variety out there!

      Delete
    2. Arghhh, I made a nice long comment and now it's eaten up. :P Oh well, here goes. :)

      Like you, I like a heroine who isn't drop-dead gorgeous, can use a weapon better than any man, and doesn't need protection. Not everyone is a Katniss Everdeen. :P

      What makes me love a heroine are these things: she has flaws (both in personality and physicality), she generally accepts those flaws, she does need someone to protect her at times (because *nobody* can always protect themselves), and she tries, despite her flaws, to pursue a relationship with and follow God. But if we're not talking about a Christian book, then I would at least like her to have clean morals that do not continually break the laws of God.

      Basically, what I'm trying to say is this: Girls, whether fictional or real, a) need people and can't do it all on their own, b) shouldn't be flawless in appearance, and c) should love God or at least have good morals. :)

      Sorry that that was kind of long. xD

      (as for Tris Prior, I wasn't *annoyed* by her per se; I just very strongly disapproved of her physical relationship with Tobias. I stopped reading the series because of the amount of inappropriateness.)

      Delete
    3. I just realized that I made that comment as a reply to your reply. Whoops. :P

      Delete
    4. xD No problem.
      Exacto! Like Parvin! She improvises and uses other stuff!
      The sad thing about YA is that not all of them are Christian, so some of them have some stuff in it. :(
      I didn't like her for both, she was flat and yeah. And they barely knew each other!

      Delete
    5. I agree with this all. They are all the same 'ya stereotype' like there aren't a lot of non Christian ones that I know of with either a storing male lead who isn't like bleh or a female mc who isn't just a typical blonde w/blue eyes and every guy at her side yet they are all somehow dumb. So yeah. That's my take. And btw I have nothing against blondes.

      Delete
    6. Same here, I just wish they didn't make them blond and blue eyed.

      Delete
  4. Sing it sista! Yes! I totally agree with you!!! Those things grind me! I especially hate when the girl characters are blond haired and have blue eyes. Not that I have a problem with people that are blonde and have blue eyes, but in a character it just grinds me. Also, I hate kick-butt girl characters. Those get so annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yaaass! Sometimes they have brown hair! Katniss, Hermione, Kyrin, and there's nothing wrong with blond hair, but they over use it...a lot!

      Delete
    2. See with me, I tend to struggle with what color hair to give my leading females.
      Because I'm like, well blond is over-used, but so is brown. Black is too unnatural, but so is orange. LIKE WHAT DO I DO?

      Delete
    3. *weirdly comes in five days later* I usually end up giving my girl characters auburn or brown hair, but I did have a red haired girl once. I have a tendency to give my guy characters curly, black hair! I just adore curly, black hair!

      Delete
    4. I tend to have long, dark brown hair for my females. And my males usually have dirty blond :)

      Delete
  5. Loved this reminder! Coming up with a few female characters right now, so the perspective had some great insight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with the appearances thing. I was trying to read a book last night in which the girl was super pretty and knew it, and I was about ready to rip my hair out. Like, do you really just have to rely on your looks to win guys? And do you think so little of guys to do that to them? *shakes head*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! When they KNOW they're pretty, it's annoying!

      Delete
    2. RIGHT. I know some pretty girls that don't do that. Why do it in books?

      Delete
  7. Rachael, I love this post! Too cute! (Gogi)

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES. YOU SPEAK THE TRUTH, RACHAEL!!

    YA girls kill me. WHY. ARE.THEY. ALL. THE. SAME. IT. DRIVES. ME. NUTS.

    But yeah. I agree with what you said. We need some tall girls in the YA books! #imtallwhycantyagirlsbe. We need some chubby girls (cuz trust me, we're real), some not drop-dead gorgeous girls, ACTUALLY NICE girls, pushovers, ones without sass, NOT BAD-GIRL TYPES, and whatnot so-forth, et cetera...

    AND THAT is why I TRY to create my leading females with a range in shape, size, and pigment amounts (a roundabout way at saying ethnic diversity) #wowisoundsmart #atleastinmymind #notusuallythishashtaggy #dunnowhyimstillhashing #welpbetterstop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU! <3
      Yeeeesh! Some nice ones who are in the middle of sassy and sweet.
      #ilovehastags

      Delete
  9. YES.

    I want a tall, square-ish, broad-shouldered girl who has trouble with alergies, cries when she gets mad, is awkward in social situations, and can't speak to guys. xP

    Oh. Well. I couldn't write her. She'd end up being an author character, 'cause that's pretty much me. :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just imagine. xP

      "Are you crying?"

      "Rrrg. No. Alergies again."

      Delete