Beautiful Books

   So before NaNo, I'm going to participate in Beautiful Books, hosted by Paperfury and Further Up Further In. This will be ten questions that I will answer about my story Red King. *takes deep breath* Kay, let's begin.


   1. What inspired the idea for your novel, and how long have you had the idea? Well, I read the Lunar Chronical series, and that partially inspired me to do a fairy tale retelling of Beauty and the Beast, Little Red Ridinghood, and Snow White. After a lot lot lot of changes, I cut out all the...fairy tale stuff...*headdesks* So now it's just about Catus. But then, as I said in this post, I combined Red King with Fire N' Gold and included Emmy. I've had the idea for a monthish, maybe a little over?

   2. Describe what your novel is about! So it's about Catus, who had a horrible childhood where he ended up running away from his dad, the King of Shaelin, until he turned eighteen. He has horrible nightmares at night, it's pretty bad. But he married this girl (adorable sad story) who also has nightmares, so he thinks, "Man, I should find a Dreamer (someone who manipulates dreams). Too bad Dad made Dreamer's illegal and they're all hunted. Nope, I'm finding one."
   Switch to Emmy. She'd just a Dreamer who lives on the streets with her brother. When her brother gets sick, she takes a job manipulating a rich woman's dream, but SURPRISE trap, and she gets carted off to the palace to manipulates Catus and Leela's dreams.
    3. What is your book's aesthetic? Use words or photos or whatever you like! I love these things, they're on the board.




   4. Introduce us to each of your characters!
   So we have Catus and Emmy, the POV charries, then Leela, Catus' wife, and Bella, a prisoner at the palace.

      



   Catus is this really...evil king. He's the villain, and I loooove writing from the point of view of the villains, so *grins* Anywho, he's almost two personalities. He has the Catus Leela and Marcus (his son) knows, and then the one Emmy knows, the psycho wacko evil Catus. He's in his early twenties.
  
   Emmy is super quiet, but when people make her mad, she can be this snappish turtle. She has an adopted brother named Val, and she manipulates dreams.

   Leela is the sweetest little bubble! She was locked in Catus' dad's dungeon at four and spent thirteen years there. Catus' dad dies, Catus comes and hears her having like these nightmares one night and she's like crying hysterically and there are a few guards and so he follows them and just falls in love with this insane girl because he's insane too. He helps her, they marry, have Marcus, end of the first part and skip ahead to a yearish later.




   5. How do you prepare to write? (Outline, research, stocking up on chocolate, howling, etc.?) I outline, research, drink coffee, squeal to friends, and usually flop. It's a very effective method. xD Meaning I start out motivated, slip out of it, then rush the last week to finish and usually end up dying. BUT THIS WILL BE WORSE BECAUSE I AM PANTSING THIS NANO AHHH!

   6. What are you most looking forward to about this novel? THE CHARACTERS! AND THE DREAMS! THE DREAMSCAPES ARE GOING TO BE FABULOUS AND AMAZING!!!

   7. List 2 things about your novel's settings! Dark and depressing. Evil. Does that count? The whole kingdom's pretty much a dark depressing evil spot...
  
   8. What’s your character’s goal and who (or what) stands in the way? She wants to be a normal person and just live with her bro, but she's a Dreamer, so she's pretty much dead already...

   9. How does your protagonist change by the end of the novel? I know, I know, I have to think this through...

   10. What are your book’s themes? How do you want readers to feel when the story is over? Probably that no one's an "accident", because that's one of the things Catus tells Emmy over and over, that because she's a Dreamer, she's a "mistake".  How do I want them to feel...Ok, I can't tell you this because spoilers...



   Thank you so much for reading! I hope this wasn't just me flopping about how much I don't know. xD

   Rachael
   <What are you doing for NaNoWriMo? Are you plotting it or pantsing it? What's your fuel for writing?>

Comments

  1. This sounds awesome!!!!
    I'm hoping to do beautiful books soon to share my (also dark and evil) idea :p
    But I love the storyline and eeep NaNo. I might be freaking out a tiny bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuu!
      YAS I SHALL BE LOOKING FORWARDS TO DIS!
      YAS YAS YAS FREAK OUT YAS

      Delete
  2. Ooh, a lot of people this year seem to be writing books that have to do with some aspect of dreams, and I love seeing how each idea is unique and different from the rest! :)

    Mwahaha, the point of view of a villain. :3 Awesome.

    I am sort of stalling with plotting. I REALLY MUST GET A MOVE ON THINGS. Augh, but I'm so busy. -.- It's not even funny anymore; I plan on getting back into the plotting swing of things today, and tomorrow on a road trip.

    This is going to sound REALLY weird, but I... don't really have any writing fuel. :P Anything - snacks, drinks, music - usually distracts me. It's shameful, I know. But I do consume much of those when I'm not focused on writing. ahem. :P

    NANO IS GOING TO BE A BLAST!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've noticed that too!
      NANO WILL BE A BLAST AND PLOTTING IS AWESOME!

      Delete
  3. Sounds very dark and distressing. Do your characters have any happy days? I look forward to reading your finished products, Rachael. I'm so proud of you for pressing on with your "dream." No pun intended--but I guess it was one, anyway, huh? Love you. Gogi

    ReplyDelete
  4. PANTSING. Definitely Pantsing XD. I'm so excited!!

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, nightmares. Your poor characters -- they all seem to be burdened with them! *hands them blankets and nice things*

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your novel sounds so cool! Can't wait to hear more... as for me, I think I might try mystery. Hope NaNo will work out, 'cause I've missed writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *squacks and cries and huggles everyone* DEY ALL NEED HUGS AND DEY ALL NEED COOKIES *SOBS*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts