When the Downs Come

   Everyone's hit a writing slump, and if you haven't yet, you will. It's not a discouragement, it's the truth. No one feels like their a good writer all of the time, and if you do, TELL ME YOUR SECRET! I've been in a slump for a few days, so I thought I'd write this post.


  
   So I had peopled all day on Saturday, and I came home and talked to Sierra and Hannah for a minute, and I looked at my stories, including the one for NaNo, and...I hated them. I didn't just think they were boring, I hated them. The only one I didn't hate was the one I was doing for OYAN.
   These stories were boring. The characters were boring. No one would ever want to read them. Why couldn't I write stories like the ones Hannah, Sierra, and I write? Our characters interact so well, why can't mine?
   I ended up telling them I was going to trash all of them. Of course they reacted as any amazing writing buddies would:

   Sierra: RACHAEL NO DON'T TRASH THE STORIES
   Hannah: PUT THEM ON A SHELF DON'T TRASH THEM
   Sierra: NOOO
   Hannah: NOOOOO
   Sierra: IT'S TEN O'CLOCK AND YOU'VE PEOPLE TODAY, DON'T MAKE DESCITIONS!"

   Somehow they convinced me not to trash the stories that night, and the morning!!!!

   I was sick.
   So I stayed home from church, listened to a sermon and worship music, and plotted. I mixed two stories, Fire N' Gold and Red King together, which worked out beautifully because Catus from Red King has horrible nightmares and is insane, and Emmy from Fire N' Gold manipulates dreams and then her own mess up and she starts going crazy too.
   I was able to love a few of them and not trash them, but tragically, some are gone. Hazard, Renegade, all of the Flicker sequels. *sniffs* But the good news is, I have what I'm going to do for NaNo now.
   It was going to be the second book in my Superheroes series (don't ask why the first, third, and fourth are written...), but then I decided to do my other two.
   I am here to tell you something:
   You are a good writer.
   We might not always feel like it, but that's normal. Thank goodness my fabulous friends kept me from trashing my stories, because I would have regretted that deeply.
   We're all going to feel like a bad writer sometimes, I was just unlucky in feeling that way right before NaNo. There are many posts I could point you to if you still feel like this, but one I loved was Hannah's post.
   Thank you so much for reading!

   Rachael
   Do you ever get the downs? How do you deal with them? What's your favorite post about downs?

Comments

  1. Awh, what a sweet post! <3 (and aren't writer friends amazing? so encouraging.)

    Mmm, I totally get the struggle. I don't know if you've seen my comments floating around the blogosphere about my decision concerning a similar topic, but in short: I had to scrap my Camp NaNo project and start something new. I don't want to clog up your comment section by saying why, so I'll just stop here. ;)

    Anyway, I understand. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and when you say that Renegades, Hazard, and all the Flicker sequels are "gone", you don't mean you deleted them, do you? Because you might get a chance or a spark of inspiration to resurrect them; even if you don't, the memories will be gone if the document is deleted. And that would be sad. :'(

      Delete
    2. Aww, I'm sorry! *hugs you* That's hard.
      Ohohohoh nooooo! I never trash writing, even in my notebooks. *nods* I learned this the hard way.

      Delete
  2. Oh boy. Looking at old writings is THE HARDEST. I know...sometimes it's so hard after you read the BEST classics and then come back to writing.

    Courage, writers.

    I'd be so happy if you checked out my blog,Mic's Room (got so many writerly things there)(http://lovelypinkduckshome.blogspot.com/)leave a little ring to tell me you stopped by ;)
    -Mic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* Yesss I hate reading when I'm in the downs.

      Delete
  3. Awwww I'm so glad you like that post! And nooooo no never delete! Only put down. I wrote two full novels that I will probably never go back to, but I know I will never delete them. I spent four years on them, and they taught me to be the writer I am today! Never delete - only put away. You've got this! <3 I can't wait to cheer you on during the Nano craze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never delete, yes yes yes. Always keep. Even if it's just to ignore them. xD
      Aww, thank you! Same here! <3 <3 <3

      Delete
  4. Gahh I get the writing downs probably all too often. Writing is HARD and I just struggle with the fact accepting that I can do the writing thing? Too often I get the thought, "You are horrible at this and will never be an author" in my head and just... ugh. I hate times like this. -.-

    You got this! <3

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesssss, that's super hard!
      Thank you co much!

      Delete
  5. THANK YOU FOR THIS. And sometimes to get rid of writer-ly downs, I think of a new, fresh idea. It works XD.

    ~ Savannah
    scattered-scribblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcomes! I try to do the same, at least an idea. *nods*

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts